Thursday, January 24, 2008

Dear, "The News"

I've been staying at my friends apartment for the past several days. During the day they work 8am to 5pm...I wake up late, make breakfast, check my email, write down some ideas, shower, meet up with friends or watch horrible game shows on tv. I recently have decided to check out the local news...horrible idea. The people who deliver the news...a flashy broad with fake tits and lips...a guy who needs a hair cut and to stop using so much mousse. Top Stories: the weather, Heath Ledgers death, a rape, a tree fell on two cars (they report this like its the end of the world), a movie that is literally making people sick...literally, botox, and back to the weather...oh and "a car bomb went off in Iraq..." I dont know how people watch this and feel as though they actually have learned something...anything for that matter... well besides what the weather is going to be for the week. I worked for a news station for six months. In those six months I learned 1)working 3:30-9am is not the shift for me 2)a couple of people decide what you'll hear and word it the way they want 3) some of the most ridiculous stories make it to the news while others that may actually matter, just sit there 4)no matter what is going on with the war...the only thing that ever makes it on tv is "a car bomb"-THIS DRIVES ME INSANE.(one of the reasons why i left my job at the news station besides wanting to concentrate on my last semester at college...was the fact that if i heard "Iraq" followed by the word "car bomb" followed by the weather and then followed by some bullshit story again...i was going to kill myself) 5) i now understand why the average American has no idea about whats going on outside of their community...no idea...thats great.

side note: i've had the news on about three times today...during the three half an hour shows, i've heard the war mentioned once. maybe i should make an announcement...
YES AMERICA WE STILL HAVE TROOPS IN AFGHANISTAN. YES WE STILL HAVE TROOPS IN IRAQ...OH AND GET THIS...THAT ONE GUY MCCAIN (MAYBE YOU DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT HIM...HE'S A REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL HOPEFUL, RECENTLY HE SAID HE COULD SEE US THERE FOR 100 YEARS! BEST NEWS I HEARD ALL MONTH! OH BUT MAYBE IF WE ARE THERE FOR 100 YEARS, MORE AMERICANS WILL BE EFFECTED BY THE WAR...I MEAN NOT JUST THE TROOPS OR THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS AND FRIENDS AND THE FEW AMERICANS WHO ACTUALLY "CARE"...BUT LIKE, THE AVERAGE AMERICAN. YA KNOW, THE PEOPLE WHO WAKE UP MAKE THEIR COFFEE, GET IN THEIR CAR, GO TO WORK, TAKE LUNCH BREAKS, COME HOME, EAT DINNER, KICK BACK... FLIP ON THE NEWS TO FIND OUT WHATS GOING ON IN AMERICA/THE WORLD...MAYBE 100 YEARS WOULD ACTUALLY EFFECT THESE AMERICANS...MAYBE? AH WHO AM I KIDDING?

maybe this post doesn't exactly have a point...however, i fucking hate watching "the news". right now, i hate it more then...the rain, wal-mart, watching president bush give a speech, my current job (if i still have it), and flying. it tells you nothing! and i want you all to know that. (but the people probably reading this know that...and thats why they look at something else for other view points and stories...and actual news).

5 Comments:

Blogger Navy Gal said...

Not sure if you saw Montel Williams giving Fox News a piece of his mind, but you should check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co3Spcq6Uzs

Finally, someone setting the news straight on the issues that really matter!!!

1/26/2008 05:11:00 PM  
Blogger Army Sergeant said...

It's seriously obscene. Afghanistan doesn't exist, and Iraq barely. It's not good news, it's not news that makes people spend money. Who knows, maybe the advertisers don't want to advertise for cornflakes after a real piece about what's actually going on.

Thanks for your blog, by the way-I'll be linking it.

1/27/2008 08:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to work in a small city's newsroom. I remember telling a news producer that there was still a war in Afghanistan. She insisted it was over years ago and wouldn't mention it in the related story she was writing.

Willful ignorance. Sickening.

1/30/2008 01:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you, that's why I'm an avid C-SPAN watcher, I watch the Senate Foreign Relations meetings, discussions with foreign leaders. I can get pretty cynical about the media, I watch my share of "The Daily Show," "Colbert Report," & "Real-Time With Bill Maher" (Although "Politically Incorrect" was a much better show, than his HBO "Real-Time.") Those are your serious discussion kind of shows, I hate local news, I live in Iowa for Christ sakes, not much goes on out here.

2/27/2008 06:02:00 PM  
Blogger GI Kate said...

anonymous,

thanks for the comments. funny you mention iowa...ill be driving out there with a few friends in april for a couple days. where in iowa are you from?

2/28/2008 11:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home