Wednesday, February 06, 2008

the run-a-round.

I went into my unit on Monday with every intention in the world of signing the paperwork to get into the IRR. I brought in my 201 file which i've had since deployment (oops) and my UA took out some papers and made photocopies. We talked about the IRR, new soldiers in the unit, when my unit was scheduled to deploy (right now its looks around 2010-2011) and what happened with the Air Force (and of course he laughed). He asked me if i was counseled by our career counselor and i said no...apparently this should've been done four months before my ETS. We walked downstairs to his office and what a surprise, he wasn't there. Back upstairs we went...my UA and the Supply Sergeant explained to me that there were a lot of new female soldiers coming into the unit (i've had the pleasure of meeting a few...god help them when they get to basic training) and that "they need me around", because i'm one of the only females without an attitude problem who does her job and could be a good mentor. i laughed, they told me they were serious...i laughed even harder. So my UA attempted to counsel me...he read about two lines and told me i needed to meet up with the career counselor, to see what he can offer me. He gave me his card...and i left. On Friday, i'll drive back to my unit...and get counseled. Can't wait.

On the other hand, my mom works at a school in the ghetto. They help kids get their GEDs, they teach English, and also recruit a lot of kids into the military. So my mom has made a lot of "friends"...all these friends happen to be Army Reserve and Army National Guard recruiters. Theres this one recruiter who my mom loves...shes always coming home with t-shirts, shitty pens that don't write, coffee mugs, key chains, etc. My mom told him my situation and of course she brings home a business card. She's been nagging me everyday, "Katie, did you call him? Just see what he has to say, you never know." But today she got...called me from work and guess who jumps on the phone? My moms BFF...a fast talking Italian National Guard Recruiter. He didn't even say hello...he goes "so whatcha unit doing?" what the fuck. I told him i didn't know. He told me to join the National Guard...college is free...7500 dollar bonus...he can hook me up with units who aren't deploying until 2010 (i told him thats when my unit was suppose to deploy...he changed the subject)...then he said, when you were deployed the first time did you go with your unit...i told him no i was cross leveled...he said, well we don't do that-you'd go with people you know, you're own unit. He thought he really got me with that statement...too bad he didn't get the memo that states, the Reserves doesn't cross level anymore. I told him i was meeting up with my career counselor on Friday and I'd give him a call after that. He said "DON'T SIGN A 4187"...goddamn i won't. so heres where i stand...the Air Force doesn't want me, my unit is getting a bunch of delinquents and they want me to stay, and the crazy Italian recruiter thinks the National Guard is the best answer.

5 Comments:

Blogger JKG said...

I wish I could offer some perspective on this, but I can't--never having been in service. It does sound par for the course from what I've heard from friends who are in, though. Army's desperate to keep people and fighting some tough public perception about the role of women in uniform and how they're treated.

I found your 'blogs via a link from deadissue. Don't know if you've visited that place or not. The main guy used to be in the Army, and he has some good opinions--maybe some helpful advice as well.

On a selfish note, I'd love to get some feedback from you on the stuff I've written about the war (not a whole lot,lately). Click through to my 'blog and select "defense" "national politics" or "iraq war" from the tag cloud, if you're ever interested.

Good luck. I'll be following along.

2/06/2008 05:15:00 PM  
Blogger Oldman Ginger said...

you should look into the ROTC (im really not trying to sound like a broken record) program for school of your choice, there are several options you can choose from, I had a friend prior active duty joined the guard and went ROTC got the scholarship and didn't have to deploy. See what the ROTC recruiters at the College have to say AF, ARmy, or Navy see what it takes to get a full ride ROTC scholarship. Schools paid for you get an education, you don't deploy while goin to school.

2/07/2008 01:28:00 PM  
Blogger GI Kate said...

gruntshit...hows iraq going? i've thought about ROTC before...but i could never see myself being an officer. and after college, its another 6 six. we'll see what happens. be safe and take care of yourself!

2/07/2008 01:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never believe a word your recruiters say. The women with attitudes are probably right.

Watch it!

2/12/2008 11:35:00 AM  
Blogger Resister Sister said...

HI Kate, just found your blog. I was one of those "responsible" women too when I was in the Guard.

Yeah and college is never "Paid for". You are lucky to get everything they promise you, and you know what run around looks like, its the same with getting your collge money. The Guard is usually even more f'ed up when it comes to paperwork.

2/12/2008 04:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home