Wednesday, July 02, 2008

you owe $2.55.

I go to UAlbany. I have not attended school for about a year and decided to take a summer class to get back in the grove of it all. Completely happy I decided to do this. My professor is awesome, all the students talk a lot...I'm totally enjoying it. So here is where the bullshit comes in. I collect veteran benefits...like the GI Bill (I won't be getting the GI Bill until fall) and Tuition Assistance. I also receive financial aid and I get more because I'm a veteran. I filled out all my paper work for Tuition Assistance. What class I signed up for, how many credit hours the class is, how much each credit hour costs, the school fees and I dropped it off at Student Services. TA agreed to pay for everything...the total is $592.00. Awesome! And I am also suppose to get financial aid...how much and when? I don't know. So this afternoon I get an email from a lady at Student Services telling me..."I received your paperwork today and unfortunately you can not have both awards." Okay. I keep on reading. "Since ACES is part of the federal government money I had to use that first." Okay. "Your remaining amount will be $2.55 since ACES only covered $592. Your Persian Gulf award is state funded and it would be a duplicative benefit. If you have any questions feel free to call."

What?

So right now I'm literally staring at my TA worksheet. "Total Cost: $592.00" "Paid by Army: $592.00." "Paid by Soldier: $0.00."

Okay, so they won't accept my TA? What the hell is ACES? My financial aid? Where the hell is the $2.55 coming from? And why do I have to pay $2.55, when the Army said they would cover everything?

This makes me laugh. This is the bullshit vets deal with while attempting to use what is promised to them.

Tomorrow I will make a phone call and figure out why I owe $2.55!!!!!!!!!!

And on top of this I got a $40 dollar parking ticket for not having a parking sticker on my car…fuck it, just add it to my $2.55.

2 Comments:

Blogger Long-time RN said...

$40 parking penalty on university property? Wow, that's outrageous. Here I was griping over my son's $15 ticket from a Midwestern campus. Good luck working out the financial hassles.

7/07/2008 06:29:00 AM  
Blogger olgreydog7 said...

Ha! That's pretty funny. Thank all the government watch dog groups that found out that some program paid some other guy $2.55 more than they should have for all the paperwork and rigamarole you are having to go through. Get this one, I'm at a state Texas school right now, and Texas has a grant for veterans whose home or record is Texas. They will pay for any state school, grad, undergrad, doesn't matter. Well, the catch is that you have to have a DD214. So, since I am still active, I don't get it. Gotta love buracracy!

7/07/2008 12:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home