Tuesday, October 07, 2008

I Would Like to Apologize to Everyone...

I just got this email for a concerned reader...

"Hi,

This is going to appear incredibly random and without context, and for that, I apologize. I'm just another anti-war milblogger. As a veteran also pursuing Journalism and Photojournalism, I find it exciting and refreshing to find others like myself, regardless of political stance. I suppose my comment is part compliment, and part request. You are a talented communicator with positive and important ideas, but your format and structure make your blog very difficult to read, and follow. The last thing I wanted for this email is to come off like some showy, arrogant, ass clown - please don't mistake me into that category. I don't agree with your views on the war, but I enjoy reading your work, and the ideas you are working with. My request is that you pay a bit more attention to punctuation, and compositional structure. Unless, of course, I completely missed the point and your intent as a writer is to appear less accessible.

Amiably,
Jason"


While I know my punctuation is not perfect and I guess my compositional structure is a little off (I'll work on splitting up my paragraphs), I hope you realize I want to be accessible. If you can not follow my posts, please email me...I could even call you and read them to you. Sometimes I misuse to and too...or then and than...and maybe you should know I have trouble pronouncing the word thesaurus. Oh, and if you ever meet me I'm incredibly shy and am always touching something. If you’d like to edit my shit you could do that also.

Jason, I appreciate your honesty…that’s a good quality to have. (Sorry, I really like using ... don't hold is against me)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks.

10/07/2008 08:20:00 PM  
Blogger Long-time RN said...

Kate...keep using it!

10/07/2008 10:37:00 PM  
Blogger Lela said...

Personally Kate, I thought your tongue was firmly in your cheek when you wrote the response to Jason's email....am I wrong? Hope not, because I found Jason's email made him come off like some showy, arrogant, ass clown (now where did I read that)? Besides, I'm not certain I'd call you "incredibly shy" . . . (I like using it, too. I won't hold it against you; if you won't hold it against me.)

10/08/2008 08:13:00 AM  
Blogger GI Kate said...

Ladies, I love you!

10/09/2008 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger Sevillalost said...

Kate,

I'm kinda with my Mom on this one, and I'm going to point to my two degrees in English to establish my credibility here.

Your blog has "voice", which is a nebulous quality that generations of writing students have struggled to "find". You write like you speak, which tends to make you more accessible, rather than less.

So, while I suppose jason is entitled to his opinion, my opinion is that he's wrong.

And I like the elipses, too...

11/01/2008 02:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home