Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Henry Rollins Felt Like Me...For A Few Hours.

Rollins wore a pair of combat boots. Big deal. Rollins wore tan fatigue pants. Even bigger deal. Rollins was ignored. Join the club. Rollins attire confused people. They looked at him and thought, hmmm...U.S. military? And then for a moment he knew what it felt like to be a U.S. soldier in a world where no one knows what to make of us. "People would look at me, look down or away, and then appear contemplative, as if they were thinking of what I represented to them." Ground breaking. What I don't understand is why Vanity Fair paid Rollins to write about this. Pay a soldier to write a real account of what it’s like to be treated like this over and over again.

Henry take off my boots.
(link fixed!)

3 Comments:

Blogger مارية said...

Hey the link is messed up.

11/03/2009 08:28:00 PM  
Blogger loose change said...

I don't know that I can always take a celebrities idea of what it is like seriously or not. As much as I like Henry Rollins I agree that they should let someone who served do this article to get a real idea of what its like to be looked at in uniform while someone contemplates.

I have gotten everything from hostile stares in public to my most recent greeting from a clerk in a gas station of not "can i help you" but a nice firm nasty "what?!" but I have also had my share and thank yous and a job well done.

A celebrity doing this takes away from what it really feels like. The sense of emotion tied to it is lost.

11/03/2009 09:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting feeling. Try years of traveling in civvies through foreign lands when the first question asked by the people you meet is "US Marine?.

11/05/2009 04:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home