Friday, April 16, 2010

Veteran shot and killed himself on the steps of VA hospital (updated)




I saw this article via twitter a few hours ago...Veteran commits suicide in front of Dayton VA Center.

"A 27-year-old Army veteran shot and killed himself at the front steps of the Dayton Veterans Administration Medical Center just hours after he had been in the center’s emergency room.

Jesse C. Huff, address unknown, was wearing full military fatigues and was armed with a military-style rifle, which he used to shoot himself twice in the head about 5:45 a.m. Friday, April 16, according to police and the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office.

He was a veteran that we (had treated),” said Simmons, a VA spokeswoman."

Absolutely heartbreaking. I wish a journalist would investigate Huff’s background and take us through what drove him to do this. What did he do overseas? Honorable discharge? How was he transitioning into the civilian world? Career? Family life? What treatment was he receiving from the VA hospital? Was it adequate? This should not be happening.

Read the article here.

Update: People are just starting to talk about this story. Where is the VA on this? No damage control? There is a reason why a veteran would shoot himself on the steps of a VA hospital. Wake up!

Update: Did Huff kill himself to make a statement?

"The 27-year-old Dayton man had entered the center’s emergency room about 1 a.m. Friday and requested some sort of treatment. But Huff did not get that treatment, police said, and about 5:45 a.m. he reappeared at the center’s entrance, put a military-style rifle to his head and twice pulled the trigger.:

9 Comments:

Blogger Katelyn said...

This is heartbreaking, I agree. Keep us updated if you find out more information.

4/17/2010 06:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm afraid, Kate that we're gonna se a hell of a lot more.

4/17/2010 07:19:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is so tragic....

4/18/2010 06:09:00 PM  
Blogger Chamberlin said...

I'm glad you're doing this, Kate. From one service member to a former member, thank you.

4/19/2010 01:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how do i reach you? my fiance is a cousin of jesses, grew up together, and he was like a little brother to her. if you only knew half of it...

4/22/2010 11:23:00 PM  
Blogger GI Kate said...

Anonymous-I'm so sorry for your loss and I can only imagine. Please email me... katehoit@yahoo.com

4/22/2010 11:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

I grew up with Jesse and my heart has been broken since I heard the news. I think this country really needs to open their eyes about what is going on with our Vets and the way that they are treated when they get home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jesse was one of the best men I have ever met in my life and probably ever will. It is not fair that we don't have him anymore because this country didn't back him like he backed the country. I have also started a facebook page for Jesse for his friends and family. Also anyone who would like to support him. Just look up Jesse Huff

4/26/2010 11:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its interesting that you are believing ever statement written. The media got several things wrong. (you being in journalism should know that you cannot completely depend on others and need to do your own research /for the facts).

no official report has been made - in fact, it is thought that Jesse probably did NOT pull the trigger a second time, but that his thumb still on the trigger and momentum / body weight caused the next shot.

and there was no "suicide note" blown up in the back pack - as the Dayton Daily News reported recently.

and Jesse, I know, would have cringed at some of the statements quoted in the newspaper on his behalf by "friends"...especially by a troubled man who was never around for Jesse's young brother !! Jesse used to shake it head in dismay and disappointment about that person (and the lack of love and involvement there was)!
yet... the man gets big, personal quotes in the paper
shame.

Michelle
sister-in-law

4/29/2010 09:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Stephanie Schwieterman said...

Michelle: I would really like to talk to you I am not sure how to contact you and I really son't want to put my info on her I am not sure if you have facebook or not I tried looking you up but couldn't find you.

5/05/2010 02:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home